NCLEX Candidate Rules
You must thoroughly review the NCLEX Candidate Rules prior to being seated for the exam. On exam day at check-in, you are directed to read the Candidate Statement and provide an electronic signature, agreeing to the terms and conditions of the NCLEX. In addition and to ensure a high level of security, you will be monitored at all times and recorded by both audio and video.
NCLEX Candidate Rules
- Personal Items
- Test Administration
- Break Procedures
- Grounds for Dismissal or Cancellation of Results
- All personal items must be stored in your locker
- Pearson Professional Centers are not responsible for lost, stolen or misplaced items
The following personal items may not be accessed* at all during your examination appointment (including breaks):
- Any educational, test preparation or study materials
- Cell/mobile/smart phones, pagers, cameras or other electronic devices and weapons of any kind.
At check in, you are required to store your electronic devices (cell/mobile/smart phones, tablets, pagers or other electronic devices) in a sealable, plastic bag provided by Pearson VUE. If you refuse to store your electronic devices in the bag, you will not be allowed to test. You will also be required to reregister and pay another exam fee of $200 for any additional NCLEX appointments.
After the exam, you must return your unopened, Pearson VUE bag to the Administration Desk to be opened and examined by the Testing Administrator (TA). Any tampering of the bag before check-out could result in an incident report.
The following personal items are not allowed in the testing room, but may be accessed while on break:
- Medical aids/devices
- Food or drink, gum/candy
- Lip balm
*For questions regarding what you can and cannot access outside the testing room, ask the TA.
- You may not disclose or discuss with anyone, including instructors, information about the items or answers seen in your exam (this includes posting or discussing questions on the Internet and social media websites).
- You may not seek help from any other party in answering items (in person, by phone, text or by email) during your exam (including breaks).
- You may not take the exam for somebody else.
- You may not tamper with the computer or use it for any function other than taking the exam.
- You may not engage in disruptive behavior at any time while in the test center.
- The TA will provide you with an erasable note board and marker before you enter the testing room.
- You may not write on the note board until after the tutorial is complete. Any writing before or during the tutorial is considered "brain dumping" and will result in an incident report and results being placed on hold.
- A clean note board can be requested during your exam by raising your hand. The erasable note board and marker may not be removed from the testing room during the exam except by the TA, and these items must be returned to the TA after the exam.
- Writing on any materials other than the note board is considered brain dumping and will result in an incident report and results will be placed on hold.
- If you experience hardware or software problems during the exam, notify the TA immediately by raising your hand.
- Earplugs are available from the TA upon request; it is not acceptable to bring your own earplugs.
- You will be given the opportunity to take a ‘scheduled’ break after approximately two hours, and again after approximately three and a half hours of exam testing time. Instructions will appear on your computer screen at the appropriate times.
- To request a break, or to exit the testing room for any other reason, raise your hand for the TA and wait to be escorted out of the testing room. A palm vein scan will be taken when you leave, and again when you re-enter the testing room. The TA will resume the exam for you upon your return. The exam clock will not stop while you are on a scheduled or unscheduled break.
- Exam data is encrypted and transferred electronically to your licensing board. Please refrain from asking the TA about exam content and/or results. If you have questions about the exam, please contact NCSBN.
A candidate who violates the test center regulations or rules, or engages in irregular behavior, misconduct and/or does not follow the TA’s warning to discontinue inappropriate behavior may be dismissed from the test center and their exam fee will not be refunded. Additionally, your exam result may be withheld or canceled and your licensing board may take other disciplinary action such as denial of a license and/or disqualifying you from future registrations for licensure. Behaviors that are considered to constitute irregular behavior or misconduct include but are not limited to:
- Giving or receiving assistance of any kind
- Using, accessing, or attempting to access any prohibited aids. Prohibited aids are any devices or materials that will be helpful in taking the NCLEX. Examples of aids that are prohibited are electronic devices (e.g. cell/mobile phones, PDAs, hand held computers, etc.), handheld calculators, conversion tables, dictionaries, etc.
- Attempting to take the examination for someone else.
- Bringing any NCLEX study aids (textbooks, notebooks, classroom notes, etc.) to the testing center or accessing or attempting to access such study materials at any time after the start of the examination administration, including break times.
- Failing to follow testing regulations or the instructions of the test administrator.
- Creating a disturbance of any kind.
- Copying, reconstructing or removing examination items and/or responses (in any format) or notes about the examination from the testing room or attempting to do the same.
- Tampering with the operation of the computer or attempting to use it for any function other than taking the examination.