You must thoroughly review the NCLEX Candidate Rules prior to being seated for the exam. On exam day at check-in, you are directed to read the Candidate Statement and provide an electronic signature, agreeing to the terms and conditions of the NCLEX. In addition and to ensure a high level of security, you will be monitored at all times and recorded by both audio and video.
NCLEX Candidate Rules
- All personal items must be placed in provided, lockable storage
- Test centers are not responsible for lost, stolen or misplaced items
The following items may not be accessed at all during your examination appointment (including breaks and until you leave the test center at the conclusion of your exam):
- Any educational, test preparation or study materials
- Cell/mobile/smart phones, tablets, smart watches, MP3 players, fitness bands, jump drives, cameras or any other electronic devices
- Weapons of any kind
At check in, you are required to store your electronic devices (cell/mobile/smart phones, tablets, smart watches or other electronic devices) in a sealable, plastic bag provided by Pearson VUE. If you refuse to store your electronic devices in the bag, you will not be allowed to test. You will also be required to reregister and pay another exam fee for any additional NCLEX appointments.
After the exam, you must return your unopened, Pearson VUE bag to the Administration Desk to be opened and examined by the Testing Administrator (TA). Any tampering with the bag before check-out could result in an incident report.
The following items are not allowed in the testing room, but may be accessed while on break (unless otherwise instructed):
- Bags/purses/wallets/ non-smart watches
- Medical aids/devices
- Food or drink, gum/candy
- Lip balm
For any questions regarding what you can and cannot access outside the testing room, ask the TA.
- You may not disclose or discuss with anyone, including instructors, information about the items or answers seen in your examination (this includes posting or discussing questions on the internet and social media websites).
- You may not reconstruct exam items using your memory of your exam or the memory of others.
- You may not seek help from any other party in answering items (in person, by phone, text or by email) during your examination (including breaks).
- You may not remove examination items and/or responses (in any format) or notes about the examination from the testing room.
- You may not copy or reconstruct exam items during or following your exam for any reason.
- You will comply with any investigation that needs to be conducted.
- Note: If you witness any of the above behavior, or any irregular behavior that is in violation of the NCLEX Candidate Rules, you are required to report it to NCSBN and comply with any follow up investigation.
- Suspicious behaviors may be reported to NCSBN by calling the NCLEX Test Security Group at 866.293.9600 or emailing email@example.com.
- You may not take the exam for somebody else.
- You may not tamper with the computer or use it for any function other than taking the exam.
- You may not engage in disruptive behavior at any time while in the test center.
- The TA will provide you with an erasable note board and marker before you enter the testing room.
- You may not use the note board to cover any part of the screen during your examination.
- A clean note board can be requested during your exam by raising your hand. The erasable note board and marker may not be removed from the testing room during the exam except by the TA, and these items must be returned to the TA after the exam.
- Writing on any materials other than the note board is strictly prohibited and will result in an incident report and results will be placed on hold.
- If you experience hardware or software problems during the exam, notify the TA immediately by raising your hand.
- Earplugs are available from the TA upon request; it is not acceptable to bring your own earplugs.
- You will be given the opportunity to take a "scheduled" break after approximately two hours, and again after approximately three and a half hours of exam testing time. Instructions will appear on your computer screen at the appropriate times.
- To request a break, or to exit the testing room for any other reason, raise your hand for the TA and wait to be escorted out of the testing room. A palm vein scan will be taken when you leave, and again when you re-enter the testing room. The TA will resume the exam for you upon your return. The exam clock will not stop while you are on a scheduled or unscheduled break.
- Exam data is encrypted and transferred electronically to your nursing regulatory body. Please refrain from asking the TA about exam content and/or results. If you have questions about the exam, please contact NCSBN.
Grounds for Dismissal or Cancellation of Results
A candidate who violates the test center regulations or rules, or engages in irregular behavior, misconduct and/or does not follow the TA’s warning to discontinue inappropriate behavior may be dismissed from the test center and their exam fee will not be refunded. Additionally, your exam result may be withheld or canceled and your nursing regulatory body may take other disciplinary action such as denial of a license/registration and/or disqualifying you from future NCLEX registrations for licensure/registration. Behaviors that constitute irregular behavior or misconduct include but are not limited to:
- Giving or receiving assistance of any kind.
- Using, accessing, or attempting to access any prohibited aids. Prohibited aids are any devices or materials that will be helpful in taking the NCLEX. Examples of aids that are prohibited are electronic devices (e.g. cell/mobile/smart phones, tablets, smart watches, etc.), handheld calculators, conversion tables, dictionaries, etc.
- Attempting to take the examination for someone else.
- Failing to follow testing regulations or the instructions of the test administrator.
- Creating a disturbance of any kind.
- Tampering with the operation of the computer or attempting to use it for any function other than taking the examination.