An institution desiring to conduct a school of professional nursing or a school of practical nursing on ground, distance, online or via other electronic means must apply to the board for approval, and submit evidence that it is prepared to:
(1) Carry out the prescribed basic professional nursing curriculum or the prescribed curriculum for practical nursing, as the case may be; and
(2) Meet other standards established by this chapter or by the board.
APRN Rule 1000-04-.03 (https://publications.tnsosfiles.com/rules/1000/1000-04.20190329.pdf) ADVANCED PRACTICE NURSE CERTIFICATE.
To be issued a certificate as an advanced practice nurse with privileges to hold oneself out as an advanced practice nurse (APN), the applicant must meet all of the following requirements:
(1) A current, unencumbered license as a registered nurse under T.C.A. Title 63, Chapter 7;
(2) Has completed preparation in advanced practice nursing at the post-basic professional nursing level and holds a master’s degree or higher in a nursing specialty. A master’s degree or higher in a nursing specialty is not required if:
(a) National certification in a nursing specialty and licensure in Tennessee as a registered nurse was obtained prior to July 1, 2005; or
(b) National certification in a nursing specialty and licensure as a registered nurse with the multistate licensure privilege to practice in Tennessee was obtained prior to July 1, 2005; and
(3) A current national specialty certification in the appropriate nursing specialty area.
Authority: T.C.A. §§ 4-5-202, 4-5-204, 63-7-123, 63-7-126, 63-7-207, and 63-7-302. Administrative History: Original rule filed April 5, 1982; effective May 20, 1982. Amendment filed February 14, 1984; effective March 15, 1984. Amendment filed November 4, 1985; effective December 4, 1985. Amendment filed August 7, 1992; effective September 21, 1992. Amendment filed February 21, 1996; effective May 6, 1996. Amendment filed March 25, 1999; effective June 8, 1999. Repeal and new rule filed May 28, 2004; effective August 11, 2004. Amendment filed December 16, 2005; effective March 1, 2006.
Licensure: All faculty and preceptors must be licensed in TN, or have a multistate license. RN licensure is required of the APRN; all schools that educate APRNS require RN licensure for admission.
Source: Tennessee Code Annotated 63-7-117