Before the Exam
Registration and Authorization to Test
Before you can take the NCLEX, you’ll need an Authorization to Test (ATT). To get this, you’ll need to apply to your board of nursing and then register with Pearson VUE. You’ll want to start this process well in advance of your target date for taking the exam.
Preparation for the NCLEX
Review the NCLEX Candidate Bulletin and familiarize yourself with the format of the NCLEX test plan. It is also important to locate your test site because they can fill up quickly. Do not wait until your ATT is close to expiration to schedule your exam or you may have to reregister and pay another exam fee.
Summary of Steps to take the NCLEX
- Learn about eligibility and then apply for licensure with a board of nursing.
- Register and pay $200 to Pearson VUE.
- Wait to schedule until you receive the following:
- From Pearson VUE: Acknowledgement of Receipt of Registration
- From board of nursing: Eligibility Letter
- From Pearson VUE: Authorization to Test (ATT)
- Schedule your exam with Pearson VUE.
For more details, see the Candidate Bulletin.