- Course/Clinical offerings by out-of-state nursing programs require approval by the board. Programs may be approved for a period of two years, at which time program representatives may petition for renewal of approval for each additional two year period.
- Out-of-state programs offering courses or clinical experiences in Louisiana are expected to maintain the standards required of in-state programs. The board reserves the right to withdraw approval if these standards are not maintained.
- At least four months prior to initiating the offering, the program must submit the following to the board:
- A letter of request indicating the time frame of the offering and the clinical agencies and units being utilized
- Evidenced of approval by parent institution and home Board of Nursing
- Evidence of regional and national nursing accreditation
- Evidence of approval by Louisiana Board of Regents
- A copy of the program's mission, philosophy and goals. Distance education programming is consistent with the mission and goals of the nursing unit and the governing organization
- A curriculum pattern listing all required courses in the program
- A course syllabus specifying the related objectives
- A current school catalog
- Evidence of meetings or communications with the clinical agency and all in-state programs that hold current agreements with that agency. These meetings/communications must recur on at least an annual basis
- A "Clinical Facility Survey" for each contracted clinical facility
- A "Faculty Qualification" form for each faculty member providing instruction and oversight of clinical experiences in Louisiana
- All faculty who provide clinical experience must have an active and unencumbered RN license in Louisiana and hold at least a BSN and a master's degree in nursing, with at least two years' clinical experience.
- Faculty shall retain the responsibility for selecting and guiding student learning experiences and the evaluation of student performance with input from the preceptors.
- Faculty must be present to supervise clinical experiences except when a board-approved preceptorship is utilized.
Source: Louisiana Administrative Code, Title 46, Part 47, Chapter 35, Section 3536
View Louisiana-RNs Nurse Practice Act and Administrative Rules.
Louisiana-PN Requirements as a Host State
*The Louisiana Board of Practical Nurse Examiners has no requirements specific to distance education.
View Louisiana-PNs Nurse Practice Act and Administrative Rules.