Standards and Standards Development
NCSBN Draft Standards
The NCSBN Standards Development Committee is working on developing new draft standards with the intention that they will be submitted to the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) for adoption as a National Standard. When ready, the draft documents will be listed below and announced in ANSI Standards Action for public review.
Accredited Standards Development Organization
NCSBN was granted accreditation as a Standards Development Organization (SDO) by ANSI. NCSBN has joined an elite group of organizations recognized for contributions in ensuring that products, programs, services and systems are safe and perform as expected.
Specifically for NCSBN, this designation is for the purpose of developing and promoting increased recognition and voluntary adoption of standards of excellence in the regulation of nursing practice and competency assessment throughout the U.S. and its territories.
Accreditation by ANSI signifies that the procedures used by the standards body in connection with the development of American National Standards meet the institute’s essential requirements for openness, balance, consensus and due process. In other words:
- Openness – participation shall be open to all persons who are directly and materially affected by the activity in question.
- Balance – the standards development process should have a balance of interests. Participants from diverse interest categories shall be sought out for their input and buy-in.
- Consensus – evidence of consensus in accordance with these procedures shall be documented and is demonstrated by a vote of the consensus body.
- Due process – any person (organization, company, government agency, individual, etc.) with a direct and material interest has a right to participate by expressing a position and its basis, having that position considered and having the right to appeal.
NCSBN believes that by achieving SDO accreditation, it will be able to further advance its mission by:
- Focusing on the protection of the public through evidence based standards
- Addressing the future of nursing through inclusivity and consensus building
- Achieving public awareness
- Demonstrating leadership in nursing regulation and nurse licensure
- Influencing government regulation through ANSI participation and visibility
- Evolving regulatory models
NCSBN Standards Development Committee
This effort is sponsored and closely monitored by NCSBN’s Board of Directors (BOD). The BOD is very excited and committed about promoting standards in the industry. The BOD designated that the NCSBN Standards Development Committee (NSDC) guide the process and appointed Board Member Nathan Goldman as chair to oversee the committee’s actions. The committee developed an NCSBN Standards Development Procedures Manual to provide guidance and direction.
Check back here for updates, including timelines, draft standards and consensus voting.
Contact us with any comments or questions concerning NCSBN's standard development.